Chinese Language Unit
For CL students, besides the MOE curriculum, we have school-based curriculum including:
- During the first week of Term 1, teachers teach students general CL grammars, dictionary using skills, and Chinese input skills.
- By the end of Term 1, teachers will introduce and mentor lower sec pupils to read one picture book to enhance their reading interests and higher order thinking skills. e.g. 《小房子》，《橘色奇迹》。
- After mid-year exams, “MT culture day” gives students different learning journey and fun on Chinese culture, literature and language. Sec 3 pupils are also given opportunities to appreciate Chinese drama.
- During June Holiday, we prepare different reading articles catering to students with different reading competencies. By doing online worksheets, to extend their vocabulary, and promote their reading skills. The winners will get awards and title of “阅读小博士”.
- In Term 3, there will be an essay writing competition and a Chinese Calligraphy Competition. The winners will get awards.
- Since oral skills have gained prominence all the time, we offer students intensive oral practice in Term 3. The ICT assessment tools and rubrics cultivate students’ self-directed learning skills and collaborative learning skills.
- To help students have a solid vocabulary foundation in lower-sec, through the whole year, we stress the vocabulary teaching and learning through ICT. The online vocabulary games consult the interests of pupils, and help cultivate students’ self-directed learning skills as well.
- To help expose pupils with overseas experience, MT department is organizing Taiwan Immersion trip in Sept 2013 for sec 2 and 3 pupils.
- There is a shared blog for students containing Lower-sec CL teaching and learning resources, programmes, SOW, and components for each exam results.
Chinese New Year
Year of Monkey left, treasure your own precious time and ride on the crest of past success.
Year of rooster arrives, be purposeful and work harder, firmly secure outstanding performance in all you do.
Chinese New Year is an annual celebration for all in AISS. As last several years, MT department invited vendor to teach students to write calligraphy couplets which were used to decorate the school to usher in the new year. Each year we have classroom decoration competition which made whole school was full of new year atmosphere. The school’s performing arts teams such as Chinese Orchestra and Dance Ensemble put up wonderful performances.
We also continued last year’s item-Video from AI students. This year the video theme was “How does AI celebrate CNY?”. In order to add joy and let all AI family celebrate together, We had a game “Guess the CNY customs” which included all races, both students and teachers. They all enjoyed the games and hoped be involved next year celebration. Chinese traditional Peking opera gave all school a chance to watch how Peking opera performed.
And also, Chinese Culture and Quiz presentation related to Peking opera which could let students know more about Chinese culture. The performance by the Lion Dance troupe brought the celebration to its climax as we usher in the year of Monkey.
Experience Traditional Chinese Culture
今年我校华文部积极推行教育部的“母语双周”计划，为低年级华文学生举办母语文化节（Mother Tongue Cultural Day）。5月22日，中一华文学生首先分班体验华族传统工艺的魅力。活动节目丰富多样：基础华文班（1NT）的学生体验制作风筝和陶艺（Kite Making & Clay Modelling）；普通华文班（1NA）的学生学习制作艺术扇面（Fan Art）；快捷和高华班（1E&1HCL）的学生设计制作手偶（Hand Puppet making）。接着，学生们齐聚礼堂，共同欣赏、传唱新加坡流华文行歌曲。通过这些活动，同学们加深了对华族传统文化和本土华文歌曲的了解与认同，也激发了同学们学习华文的兴趣与热忱！
5月17日，华文部也为中二华文学生举办了“品茗之旅，体验茶趣”活动（Tea Appreciation）。华文学生在老师们的带领下前往本地两间茶馆（怡心轩YIXINGXUAN和茶渊TEA CHAPTER）了解茶文化，体验泡茶与品茶。此外，我们也邀请义顺舞狮团来学校为2NT的华文学生举办舞狮训练。同学们对这些活动兴趣盎然，积极参与互动节目，在其乐融融的氛围中不仅练习使用华语，也更加深入地了解茶艺与舞狮的内涵和趣味。
In active response to MOE’s “Mother Tongue Fortnight” programme, the Chinese Unit held the Mother Tongue Cultural Day for our lower secondary CL students this year on 22nd May. Our secondary 1 CL students were the first to gain hands-on experience in making traditional Chinese handicraft. There were a wide range of activities such as Kite Making & Clay Modelling for 1NT BCL students, Fan Art for 1NA CL students as well as Hand Puppet Making for 1E CL and HCL students. The students also got to enjoy and sing popular local Chinese songs in the hall. Through such activities, students gained a deeper understanding of Chinese Culture as well as local Chinese music, which in return sparked their enthusiasm for learning Chinese.
On 17th May, the Chinese Unit also hosted a Tea Appreciation learning journey for the secondary 2 CL students. Chinese students were led by teachers to visit two local teahouses – Yi Xing Xuan and Tea Chapter to learn about tea culture, through experiencing the process of making and drinking tea. Additionally, we invited Yishun Lion Dance Team to host lion dance workshops for our 2NT BCL students. Students were actively engaged in these events and learnt more about the rich heritage behind tea and lion dance, in addition to the great opportunities to deepen their knowledge of Chinese language.
Chinese Theatre Experience
Sec 3 Learning Journey 2017 -- 戏剧观赏
As part of the school’s Chinese Arts & Culture Appreciation programme by the Mother Tongue department, we aim to increase students’ exposure and appreciation of the Chinese language and culture through Chinese Theatre.
On the 15th & 16th of April, all Secondary 3 Express students went on a learning journey and watched a Chinese Musical “Lao Jiu” 《老九》by The Theatre Practice.
It was the first Chinese Musical for many of the students and the story themed around the struggle of dreams and responsibilities touched many of them. The dilemma faced by the main character set the students pondering about the path to achieving their own dreams.
The students also participated in the post-show dialogue whereby they interacted with the director of the play Kuo Jian Hong and 1 of the casts and gained insightful knowledge about the production of a theatre through their sharings.
Taiwan Cultural Immersion Trip
30 students with 3 teachers embarked on a cultural immersion trip to Taiwan between 29 Oct and 4 Nov 2017. This trip gave both students and teachers a very good chance to know more about the Taiwanese people and society, thus they can widen their horizons and deepen their understanding of the outside world. Students visited Taipei Palace Museum and Puppet Museum, they showed interest in these places related to history and Chinese culture. Students also visited local schools to have a musical exchange with peers and developed a deeper understanding and appreciation of traditional Chinese musical instruments and Chinese culture. During this trip, students became more independent and more mature, the seeds in their hearts will finally blossom and bear fruit.