Home > About Us > AI Distinctive Programmes > Enhanced Music Programme (EMP) and Music Preparatory Course (MPC)
Enhanced Music Programme (EMP) and Music Preparatory Course (MPC)
Enhanced Music Programme (EMP)
The AISS EMP is a two-year programme for upper secondary students, culminating in the GCE ‘O’ Level Music examinations. Students benefit from the study of Western and Asian music, Jazz and Pop, music composition, and music theory. Additionally, students in the EMP will get opportunities to perform as soloists or in ensembles, benefit from music workshops and masterclasses, and attend learning journeys and internships with local arts organisations and institutions.
Music Preparatory Course (MPC)
The MPC at Secondary One and Two aims to build up students’ competence and confidence in music in order for them to study music at a higher level in the EMP. The spiral curriculum introduces topics at a foundational level, and includes foundational music skills such as elements of music, music theory, music history, aural skills, composition skills, as well as solo and ensemble performance skills.
Our students also benefit from a comprehensive enrichment programme, including:
• National EMP Camp and Showcase concerts
• Music Mentoring Programme with ACS(I)
• Music Mentoring Programme with YST Conservatory of Music
• Composition Collaboration with RI(Secondary)
• Arts Internship with The RICE Company
• Gamelan Workshop with Gamalan Asmaradana
• Participation in the SMTA Music Festival and Chamber Music Competition
• Concert outings to orchestral concerts, operas, etc.
• Singapore Rhapsodies Launch Concert at the National Gallery Singapore
• AESPIRE Concerts at AISS
• Performances at the AI Achievement Day, National Day concerts, Teachers’ Day concerts, and Combined Performing Arts concerts
For more information about the EMP and MPC, please see attached brochure here.
For more information about ‘O’ Level Music, please refer to: https://www.seab.gov.sg/docs/default-source/national-examinations/syllabus/olevel/2019syllabus/6085_2019f805756855364933a3765e9326ecdf0c.pdf
'O' Level Music Programme
We are a centre for ‘O’ Level Music. Here, Secondary Three and Four students from AISS and other schools benefit from the study of Western and Asian music, Jazz and Pop, music composition, and music theory, and build aural skills through listening and analysis. Please refer to the ‘O’ Level Music Syllabus to learn more about the programme.
As an O-Level Music Centre, AISS serves students from all over Singapore .