Home > Others > Archive > About Us > AI Distinctive Programmes > Enhanced Music Programme (EMP) and Music Preparatory Course (MPC)
Enhanced Music Programme (EMP) and Music Preparatory Course (MPC)
AISS is one of only four EMP (Enhanced Music Programme) schools in Singapore. We are also an O-Level Music Centre for students across Singapore who want to offer O-Level Music. As one of our school’s signature programmes, the AISS EMP is a four-year programme for Secondary One to Four students, culminating in the GCE ‘O’ Level Music examinations.
Our unique programme includes talent identification and development, mentorships and collaborations, opportunities for exposure and experiences outside the classroom, and a supportive whole-school musical culture. We believe that music learning should encourage expression and experimentation and provide students with the resources they need to fully immerse themselves in their craft.
Join us to experience an enriching musical journey!
Joseph Ace Teo
Joseph Ace Teo
Leadership and musical developmental initiatives and opportunities
At AISS, we believe that music-making is best experienced in authentic contexts. That’s why, apart from our focus on hands-on activities during music lessons, our students are exposed to a range of development and talent identification opportunities that allow them to participate in enrichment programmes, watch concerts and take part in performances throughout the year.
Enrichment Programmes and Workshops
- Live Sound and Songwriting Workshop with Singapore Polytechnic and Timothy Rodrigues
- Sonic Arts Workshop with Republic Polytechnic
- Foley Workshop with Republic Polytechnic
- Gamelan Workshop with Gamelan Asmaradana
- Indian Music Workshop with Alapana Arts
- Concert outings to orchestral concerts, operas, etc.
- Music Mentoring Programme with ACS(I)
- Music Mentoring Programme with Eunoia Junior College
- Music Mentoring Programme with YST Conservatory of Music
- Composition Collaboration with RI (Secondary),
- Composition Collaboration with National Junior College
Performances, Showcases, Competitions
- Music Technology Performance at Public Service Transformation Awards Ceremony (PSTAC) [Link]
- SMTA Music Festival and Chamber Music Competition
- Singapore Rhapsodies Launch Concert at the National Gallery Singapore
- SYF Celebrations: Interactive Soundscape Music Technology Performance at National Gallery
- SYF Celebrations: Festival Concert Music Technology Collaborative Performance at Esplanade Concert Hall
- Performance at ACSpressivo ACS MEP concerts
- MEP 40 Celebrations – virtual ensemble, compositions, performances
Giving back to the community
- Tan Tock Seng Hospital Art of Healing Programme [Link]
- Tan Tock Seng Hospital Founder’s Day Celebration (invited performers) [TTSH Performances for Founder’s Day]
- SchoolARTS@Seng Kang Hospital
- AESPIRE – Aesthetics Showcase Events [YouTube channel, Instagram]
- Performances at the AI Achievement Day, National Day concerts, Teachers’ Day concerts, and Combined Performing Arts concerts
- National Combined Schools’ MEP/EMP Camps and Showcase concerts
- Combined Schools’ MEP/EMP Higher Education Career Fairs
Key features of the syllabus
Our comprehensive curriculum caters to various interests and aptitude levels. Students benefit from the study of Western and Asian music, Jazz and Pop, music composition, and music theory. Additionally, students in the EMP will get opportunities to perform as soloists or in ensembles, benefit from music workshops and masterclasses, and attend learning journeys and internships with local arts organisations and institutions.
We develop students’ musical knowledge and skills and aim to build up students’ competence and confidence in music in order for them to study music at a higher level. The spiral curriculum introduces topics at a foundational level and includes foundational music skills such as elements of music, music theory, music history, aural skills, composition skills, as well as solo and ensemble performance skills.
Our students also benefit from a comprehensive enrichment programme. Students experience a wide range of musical activities in and outside of the classroom, in order to develop skills and competencies for more advanced studies in music, or to gain awareness of potential careers in Music.
Selection Test Information
We conduct auditions and interviews throughout the year as part of our talent identification process. Suitable candidates in Secondary 1 and 2 can be accepted into the programme.
Our Success Stories
Since our inception in 2016, we have had many Music students who have done exceptionally well and were successfully admitted into Music programmes in JCs and IHLs.
Adelyn Koh Xin Hui. Class of 2018. Talented young musician who has been featured in the President’s Star Charity.
Nurul Natasya. Class of 2018. Recipient of The Purple Symphony Training Award.
Koh Ming Yang. Class of 2019. DSA to Eunoia JC via Music
Gaston Liew Zhen En. Class of 2019, YTSS. DSA to Eunoia JC via Music.
Hiap Xin Yi Darleene. Class of 2020. DSA to Raffles Institution (JC) via Music. Singapore National Youth Orchestra member.
Aw Jun Hui. Class of 2020. DSA to Temasek JC via Music
Kresnarendra Aqila Sobana. Class of 2020, GDLSS. DSA to Temasek JC via Music.
Lucas Tan Jia Le. Class of 2020. SNYO training programme. Kids Philharmonic Orchestra member.
Damien Lee Zhao Kai. Class of 2020, YTSS. Eunoia JC MEP and Band.
Tai Bing An. Class of 2020, CVSS. NAFA Foundation Programme (Music)
Wong Xin Hui Rachael. Class of 2020, NBSS. NAFA Foundation Programme (Music)
Lawrence Gabriel Angel. Class of 2021. NAFA (Music)
At AISS, we believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to develop their talents. We do talent identification and development through the General Music Programme as well as via the school’s AESPIRE concerts, and provide training and performance opportunities for anything from beatboxing to pen-tapping!
Nur Amirah Bte Rohaizad. Class of 2019. Represented Singapore at the Tokyo Child Aid Concert in Japan in 2018.
Kalaivani D/O Regupathy. Class of 2019. Represented Singapore at the Tokyo Child Aid Concert in Japan in 2019.
Nur Amirah Bte Rohaizad, Mohamad Shahzuie B Jaffar, Izzarilhan B Selamat. Recorded the soundtrack to the Cultural Medallion Fund Project: Nona Asiah - A Musical Journey
Sarefina Sindhu Victor. SYF Celebrations Performance at Singer-Songwriters Showcase @ Esplanade Library.
Nur Amirah Bte Rohaizad, Sarefina Sindhu Victor, Izzarilhan B Selamat, Kalaivani D/O Regupathy, Natasha Tan. SYF Celebrations Performance at Causeway Point Mall.
Ng Li Xuan, Terry Zhang. MEP40 ‘My Journey, Our Journey’ – Chinese Music Virtual Ensemble Showcase
- Secondary School Posting Booklet [To be updated]
- MOE EMP Webpage
- MOE MEP Webpage
- OLM Teaching and Learning Syllabus
- OLM Exam Syllabus 2023
- EMP/MEP YouTube Page
- [All Levels] EMP/MEP Publicity Videos:
Contact details of relevant personnel
Ms Amelia Dizon (Music Teacher) - email@example.com
Ms Carita Chew Meng (Music Teacher) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Enzo Charles Victor Buttazzoni (Music Teacher) - email@example.com